Learning Absorbing

Towards the end of How I Read Gertrude Stein Lew Welch shares this realization:

Stein has everywhere stated that she "hears" speech rhythms, and I have only recently been able to do so. It is a very exciting thing to be able to do, and to be able to do it one has to be able to listen to "meanings" and "rhythms" as if they were two separate things.

It is almost impossible to do this if one simply sets out to learn it. I tried to just learn to do it, and found that I could not do both at once. I was left staring after a question was asked me, simply because I did not hear the question, I only heard the rhythm and the rising inflection that indicated to me that a question had been asked. So I stopped trying. But suddenly one day I found that I was doing it quite naturally because I had been reading so much of Stein.
Setting out. Taking it. Setting out.

And so for day 2015
19.06.2012