Letters Like Dropping Rain

Untitled poem of three lines (when reconstituted) to be found at the end of "The Silent Poet Sequence" at the end of the The Sad Phoenician but not at the end of "The Silent Poet Sequence" found in Completed Field Notes [note "completed" not "complete"] by Robert Kroetsch.

thir
st sin
myl
if ewe
rel
arg
er tha
n wi
n d
and
r ain
pr
i est
if myl
if ewe
re un
har
med id
not
beb a
dag
ain
chr
i stif
myl o
ve w
ere in
my ar
ms a
nd Ii
n my
bed a
gain


Reconstituted:
thirsts in my life were larger than wind and rain

priest if my life were unharmed i'd not be bad again

christ if my love were in my arms and I in my bed again
And if that last line looks or sounds familiar, it is.
O western wind, when wilt thou blow
   That the small rain down can rain?
Christ, that my love were in my arms
   And I in my bed again!
Anonymous. "The Lover in Winter Plaineth for the Spring" in The Oxford Book of English Verse: 1250–1900 edited by Arthur Quiller-Couch.

And so for day 1755
03.10.2011