Buried & Submerged

Fire of London. 1666. Samuel Pepys buries cheese in his garden. We don't know the specifics of the quantity laid into the ground. Whatever the amount, the cheese (parmesan) was esteemed enough to take precautions.

September 4, 1666

Sir W. Batten not knowing how to remove his wine, did dig a pit in the garden, and laid it in there; and I took the opportunity of laying all the papers of my office that I could not otherwise dispose of. And in the evening Sir W. Pen and I did dig another, and put our wine in it; and I my Parmazan cheese, as well as my wine and some other things.
We know that Pepys house did not go up in smoke. We do not know the fate of the parmesan. His diary is silent on that matter.

We do know the results of a Canadian experiment with underwater cheese.
Letting it sit 50 metres underwater was supposed to produce a cheese that would taste unique, but the company had major trouble finding its sunken cheese.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/quebec-firm-abandons-lost-cheese-1.538773
I'd rather my cheese near a fire than drowned. Rather relish a bit of Welsh Rarebit.

And so for day 1420
02.11.2010